Shucked: Tiny Desk Concert
There was only one request I made to the creative team for Shucked: I need to see the corn kickline on the Tiny Desk, or it can't happen. Thankfully, choreographer Sarah O'Gleby came down to Washington, D.C. for the recording and made all my dreams come true. Shucked is the most fun you'll have on Broadway this season. There are a lot of great shows to see, but if you want to laugh, Shucked is the ticket. Lucky for us all, it's going on a national tour in the fall of 2024.
Songwriting team Brandy Clark and Shane McAnally have plenty to say about their admiration for the performers interpreting their music for the stage. "The legend is that I threw a shoe," McAnally explains, recalling his excitement after seeing Alex Newell perform "Independently Owned" for the first time. "But I also threw my book with all my music."
Halfway through the set, Clark starts singing her beautiful ballad written for the show, "Maybe Love," then Isabelle McCalla takes over as her character, Maizy. "We're going to show you the transformation that these songs take," Clark summarizes. "We write very simple songs and we're simple singers, and it's amazing to see our simple songs and voices turned into this."
- "Independently Owned"
- "Maybe Love"
- "Somebody Will"
- "I Do"
- "We Love Jesus"
- Brandy Clark
- Shane McAnally
- Andrew Durand
- Ashley D. Kelley
- John Behlmann
- Isabelle McCalla
- Grey Henson
- Alex Newell
- Kevin Cahoon
- Jason Howland: piano, arrangements
- Kevin Ramessar: guitar
- Emma Ford: drums
- Jeremy Kittel: fiddle, mandolin
- Alexandria "Lexi" Bodick: upright bass
- Meg Toohey: guitar
TINY DESK TEAM
- Producer/Audio Engineer: Josh Rogosin
- Director: Joshua Bryant
- Editor: Kara Frame
- Videographers: Joshua Bryant, Kara Frame, Elizabeth Gillis, Mitra I. Arthur
- Series Producer: Bobby Carter
- Audio Assistants: Josephine Nyounai and Hannah Gluvna
- Production Assistant: Ashley Pointer
- Photographer: Estefania Mitre
- Tiny Desk Team: Suraya Mohamed, Hazel Cills, Maia Stern
- Series Creators: Bob Boilen, Stephen Thompson
- VP, Visuals and Music: Keith Jenkins
- Senior VP, Programming: Anya Grundmann
Copyright 2023 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.